Asian Art Specialist
- Seek consignments of Traditional Asian Art from within their own network as well as vetting, pricing and handling the acquisition of ‘inbound’ consignments
- Conduct ‘first hand’ inspections of property within their department upon arrival, confirm estimates, condition and approve items for production
- Direct junior staff, with regards to cataloguing and client correspondence, conveying technical information and areas that need to be researched
- Carry out cataloguing, condition reports and additional texts for the sale with the assistance of junior staff
- Work with Head of Fine Arts to set strategy and targets for the department.
- Work with Head of Fine Arts and Marketing to establish the marketing schedule and initiatives for the department.
- Liaise with Auction Manager and Marketing team to approve all departmental ads and marketing material for publication
- Liaise with Cataloguing team to proof and approve catalogue and auction text for publication
- Market the sale and specific items to potential buyers
- Attend market events and speaking engagements, establishing a role as an expert in their field
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s Degree preferred
- 3-7 years of experience in a gallery or auction house
- Experience with Microsoft office, and comfortable with Outlook and Excel
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including superior written and verbal communication
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with a strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with the Chinese Art Market
Paddle8 was launched in 2010 by co-founders Aditya Julka, Alexander Gilkes and Osman Khan, and had quickly grown to be an innovative force in the U.S. and U.K. art, design and collectibles market, through its timed auctions, private sales and charitable sales, as well as its curatorial partnerships with global tastemakers, including Grace Coddington, Damien Hirst and Tory Burch and more. The company posted sales of nearly $50M in 2015, a 26 percent increase from the prior year and saw substantial growth from its for-profit business, with a 100 percent year-over-year increase.
In 2016, Paddle8 merged with Auctionata, Germany’s biggest auction house known for its unique livestream auction technology and market leadership in the vintage luxury sector. Overnight, the joint entity became one of the top 10 largest auction houses worldwide outside China, overnight, and emerged as the global online leader in art, collectibles, and vintage luxury.
“Auctionata and Paddle8 uniting forces strengthens this growing segment of the market,” notes David Zwirner, one of the world’s most esteemed art dealers and a member of Paddle8’s board. “Globally, we are seeing a new era of collecting online. There is a desire and confidence to purchase from anywhere in the world at a moment’s notice, which benefits both individual buyers and sellers alike.”
To date, Paddle8 has raised a total of $44M with an array of investors from across the business, tech and art sectors including Founder Collective, Mousse Partners and Skate Capital, as well as art-world insiders like David Zwirner, Damien Hirst and Jay Jopling. Auctionata, meanwhile has raised $88M in equity capital with notable investors including Earlybird, Kite Ventures, MCI Management, HV Holtzbrinck Ventures, Hearst Ventures and Groupe Arnault.
Today the joint company operates globally with offices in Berlin, New York, London, Zurich, Rome, Los Angeles, and Madrid. Together, the two entities form the online destination of choice for the 21st century collector, by providing a platform for the most immersive and comprehensive experience for purchasing art and luxury items online.